Since the pandemic started, I’ve been seeing posts of friends baking their way through the quarantine. I always find the baking goods’ aisle empty – not a single pack of flour, yeast etc. in sight whenever I go on my grocery run during the first few weeks of the lockdown. It seems baking has not only become a creative outlet but also a source of comfort for most people while staying at home.
Pretty soon, I have found myself spending more time in the kitchen with my apron on. There’s something so satisfying to see a recipe come to life. Through these long months, I discovered recipe after recipe and most of these required baking skills.
My daughter has been requesting for a cake for quite some time now, so this momma finally obliged. I haven’t tried baking using frozen blueberries so I thought of giving it a try. Why not when blueberries are packed with antioxidants and phytoflavinoids?
Don’t let their size fool you – blueberries are proof that, when it comes to health benefits, good things really do come in small packages. Here’s the skinny on blueberry nutrition from blueberrycouncil.org.
Calories in Blueberries: Blueberries contain only 80 calories per serving, which is one cup. They virtually contain no fat and are low in sodium.
Fiber in Blueberries: With 3.6 grams of fiber per serving, blueberries help you meet your daily recommended intake of fiber. Dietary fiber may reduce the risk of heart disease and adds bulk to your diet, which may help you feel full faster
Carbs in Blueberries: Blueberries contain naturally occurring sugars and fiber, which are both carbohydrates.
Vitamins and Minerals in Blueberries: Blueberries contribute vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese, making them a good choice to help meet nutrient needs.
Furthermore, blueberries are delicious, beautiful, healthy, simple, and versatile. Whether you’re cooking, snacking, or pursuing healthy habits, blueberries bring back the pleasure and ease that help us to eat well and enjoy our food.
The frozen blueberries from the U.S. are available year-round. They’re frozen straight from the farm, with all the good stuff locked in – nutrients, freshness, and flavor. Make frozen blueberries a freezer staple. They’re a healthy shortcut, whether you’re grabbing a quick snack, packing lunches, or cooking up a storm.
Here’s an easy U.S. Blueberry Cake which turned out so well on my first attempt.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of flour for prepping pan
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups Farmers Best Frozen Highbush Blueberries
Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter the pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. Mix flour with baking powder and salt. Whisk together 1 cup of flour with baking powder, salt and set aside.
3. Using a mixer, beat the butter on medium high speed for 2 minutes. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla extract. Add the eggs.
4. Pour the batter into the pan.
5. Toss Farmers Best Frozen Highbush Blueberries over batter.
6. Bake for 55 minutes at 350°F or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let the cake cool in the pan.
7. Transfer the cake to a platter. Dust the cake with powdered sugar to serve.
These frozen blueberries aren’t that hard to find. Farmers Best Frozen Highbush Blueberries are available at leading supermarkets. Essential Everyday and Sunny Select are two other U.S. frozen blueberry brands that are in stores nationwide.
Get a chance to win three packs of frozen blueberries by following the mechanics below:
1. Share your frozen blueberry recipe on Instagram and Facebook. Tag me and the US Blueberries accounts on both social media accounts. Use only U.S. frozen blueberries (Farmers Best, Essential Everyday and Sunny Select). Add the hashtags: #USBlueberries #MommyBloggersPH.
Instagram: @wondermomma.ig and @usblueberriesphl
Facebook: @wondermommablog and US Blueberries PHL
2. Like our accounts on Facebook. Follow our accounts on Instagram.
3. Tag your friends.
Winners will be posted via Instagram and Facebook stories on the 23rd of December. Winners will be notified through a private message. Good luck!