My family considers anything with potatoes, comfort food. Potatoes are so versatile. They can be fried, mashed, boiled, baked, sauteed and even dehydrated. They can be served hot or cold. With just 110 calories, one medium (148 grams), skin-on potato provides 30% of your daily value of vitamin C, along with the carbohydrates, potassium and energy you need to perform at your best. Potatoes make a good source of vitamins and minerals.
I prefer top-quality U.S. potatoes which are delicious, versatile, easily available, and affordable. They are a necessity in my kitchen. One of the easy recipes I love to make using these potatoes is the Potatoes Au Gratin.
For this dish, I used medium-sized fresh potatoes and dehydrated potato flakes. These potatoes in dehydrated form are the same high-quality potatoes with just the water removed. They deliver all the flavor, nutrition, and versatility of potatoes in a more convenient package – and are the perfect ingredient for everything from soups and salads to main dishes and desserts. Dehydrate potato flakes are bright white in color and when reconstituted, have the dry, mealy texture and delicious flavor typical of freshly cooked mashed potatoes.
The creamy cheese and potato combo in my Potatoes Au Gratin dish make for a yummy side dish or you can eat it on its own. It’s a crowd-pleaser! You may experiment with different cheeses for variety. I might have just found my new potato dish favorite. It’s comfort food at its best!
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups fresh milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
5 thinly-sliced peeled potatoes
1/2 cup dehydrated potato flakes
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a medium casserole dish.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, dehydrated flake potatoes, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion.
3. Transfer to a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until the cheese topping is crisp and brown on top, about an hour.
4. Enjoy. Warning: this potato dish is dangerously addicting.
Get a chance to win this gift pack containing potato products, recipes and kitchen items from Potatoes USA by following the mechanics below:
- Share your favorite potato recipe.
- Post the recipe with the photo on Facebook and Instagram accounts. On FB, tag @PotatoesUSAPhilippines and @wondermommablog.
On IG, tag @potatoesusaphl and @wondermomma.ig
- Deadline of posting is on 30th October 2020. Winner will be notified on the 31st of October. I will be announcing the winner on both my IG and FB accounts. Good luck!
To know more about Potatoes USA, check out their website at http://www.potatoesusa-philippines.com/ and social media accounts: FB @ PotatoesUSAPhilippines and IG@potatoesusaphl for more info.